Over the weekend I came down with some really terrible cold and flu germs, the kind that keeps you on the Lounge all day with a big box of tissues feeling sorry for yourself in front of the television.
While half watching something and half sleeping through something else I realised I was really craving some good soup and the more I thought about it the more I wanted soup.
I had chicken noodle in my head but knew that was not happening. I was however convinced that soup would be my miracle cure for whatever germs I was fighting.
I found the most simple recipe for an egg drop soup that was close to what I had in mind and in no time at all was devouring the bowl. I can say with certainty that this soup is so quick and easy to prepare that it can be prepared by anyone, even when your head is not working and your half asleep!
While there is no medical evidence to back this up I remain convinced this soup was my miracle cure and afterwards I started to feel better, in fact the next day I woke up with virtually no symptoms from the day before.
Egg Drop Soup
4 cups good-quality chicken or vegetable stock
2 tablespoons cornstarch
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
2 large eggs
2 egg whites
1/2 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
3 green onions, sliced thin (about 1/4 cup sliced), plus extra for garnish
1/4 cup whole-kernel corn or creamed corn
salt, to taste
black pepper, to taste
- Whisk together stock, cornstarch, ginger and garlic powder in a medium saucepan until smooth. Heat over high heat until the stock comes to a simmer, stirring occasionally.
- Whisk together the eggs and egg whites in a small measuring cup or bowl.
- Once the broth reaches a simmer, use a fork or a whisk to stir the broth in a circular motion, creating a whirlpool. Then slowly pour the whisked eggs into the soup as you continue stirring to create egg ribbons.
- Remove pan from heat. Stir in the sesame oil, green onions and corn until combined.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste, also adding a dash or two of more sesame oil if needed.
- Serve immediately, garnished with additional green onions.