Namibia: Sossusvlei (26 May 2019)


Yes, you guessed it. We got up early again this particular morning, although, this was the earliest we’ve ever gotten up so far. We set the alarm for 5:45am because the gate opened at 6:30 and we wanted to be in the Deadvlei as early as possible.


I jumped through the shower and we had our usual breakfast and got on the road.

We drove for about 25 minutes until we had to stop and look at the breathtaking morning colours. It’s an indescribable feeling to stand in the open, in the middle of the desert and see a beautiful view like this. It’s something I would suggest putting it on your bucket list.


After another 30 minutes, we made it to the end of the tarmac road and deflated our tires for the soft sand ahead. For the next few kilometers, it’s highly recommended to have a 4×4 car. Some people didn’t keep that in mind and tried their luck with their 2×4 Renault Duster and got stuck halfway. But don’t worry, they provide a shuttle service for those who do not have a 4×4.


While we were busy deflating the tires, the sun started to peek over the dunes.


This is something that makes me love Namibia, or just ‘Africa’. There are very few places where you can freely walk around in the wild. As I took this picture I thought about how to describe this place. “A place where different footprints meet each other.”


Here we were driving through the sand to the Deadvlei. As you can see the ‘road’ is definitely not meant for any type of car.


After a few more kilometres, we arrived at the parking area and started to walk the 1 km to the Deadvlei. It isn’t that far from the parking area, but be ready for a lot of soft sand and a few steep climbs.


There builds up a bit of anticipation as you get closer. You can’t see your final destination until you are there. After a steep climb, you are given your reward.


We strolled around for a bit taking pictures here and there. It’s wonderful how quiet it can be. It’s something you have to get used to, because most of us live in the city or town and are constantly surrounded by cars or any type of buzz going around.

I found myself a spot and sat on the ground and enjoyed the beautiful and quiet scenery.


Eventually, we could see the sun creeping over the dune and lighting up the valley.

We stayed for about an hour and then started to walk back. We then drove to Sossusvlei and had something to eat, but this turned out to not be the easiest thing to do. We barely got the buns out of the bag when we were swarmed by these cute birds.


We gave them some crumbs on the ground, but eventually, they got confident and well…this happened.


I allowed them to have a few bites but the rest was for me. I was wondering how much water they have access to, so I decided to share some of mine. It was such a wonderful experience to have fed some of them.

When we were done with lunch we headed back to the campsite.

I did some more studying for my exam, which was the next day, and my dad sat in his chair just enjoying nature.

After a little bit more than an hour, we decide to go and have a swim and then go to the Sossusvlei Lodge (Telani Africa) to have a sundowner. If you want to stay at a proper Lodge in ‘Africa’, I would suggest staying at this one. I believe the pictures will speak for themselves.


I could honestly see that they care about what they do and their business. The place is in beautiful condition and everything is just perfect.

You walk to the reception through this beautiful corridor.


Although being in the desert, they make sure it stays green.


We went to the curio and sniffed around for a few minutes. My dad saw this shirt with the warthog on and went to try it on. When he came back I burst out laughing.


Unfortunately, they didn’t have one in his size.

It’s this type of experience that makes you feel like you’re in ‘Africa’. Here you are sitting outside, having a drink and a few wild animals also just ‘chilling’ in the distance. It’s an experience most people rarely have. It’s something you need to experience at least once in your life.


After enjoying the sundowner we went back to camp to have dinner.

While we were eating we watched our new neighbour with great interest. They were struggling to get their fire going and my dad suggested, if it persists we should go and help, but after a minute we could see flames and thought they got it going.

When we were done eating we looked into their direction again and could only see smoke and then my dad said I should take some firelighters for them.

I greeted them and ask if they had any firelighters. They said they had an option between eco-friendly and normal firelighters, and they went with the eco-friendly ones. Unfortunately, it didn’t work very well so I offered them some of ours.

As I said my goodbyes, the man asked if I knew anything about a Toyota Land Cruiser and how to get it out of 4×4. I told him my dad should know a thing or two. I quickly jogged back to our tent to tell my dad about the situation and we walked back.

They greeted each other and went to check out what the problem might be. My dad then did what he’s been taught: to get a bakkie out and into 4×4. It is by putting it into your desired gear and then driving a meter or so backwards and then forwards. That should do the trick and it worked this time as well.

They thanked us and we had a quick conversation about where we are all from and what we’re doing in Namibia.

We then parted ways and went back to our tent for the night.

If you enjoy reading my blog you can support it through Patreon or PayPal by donating just $1.

Leave a Reply